Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:58:09 CDT 2015

I think there are a several options for the degree of authenticity with FPGA re-implementations. At the simplest of levels my Baby Baby runs at the same speed as the full sized Baby, but it currently uses a 32 bit parallel logic in many places as I built a 32 bit wide store and it keeps much of the HDL "code"  simple.  I do intend to try a full serial machine at some point, but its low on my list. I have only really use the Xilinx ISE in anger, but I note it is possible to see the generated gates generated from the HDL or simulated HDL from a gate level diagram. I believe you can also mix and match gates and HDL (I have not tried, too many other things to do.)

My next project is likely to be the Ferranti Pegasus which is several orders of magnitude more complex than the Baby and will need a proper plan.

Dave