PDP-12 at the RICM

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Jul 13 19:52:31 CDT 2015

On 2015-07-13 21:16, Rich Alderson wrote:
> [...]

You could argue that the PDP-4 is the successor to the PDP-1. Unless I
remember wrong, it could run PDP-1 programs.

> PDP-5	12-bit word
> PDP-6	36-bit word, mainframe unrelated to PDP-3
> PDP-7	18-bit word, PDP-4 successor
> PDP-8	12-bit word, PDP-5 successor

12, 15 or 17 bit address. Depending on what hardware you have. Most
typical was/is 15-bit address space.

> PDP-9	18-bit word, PDP-7 successor
> PDP-10	36-bit word, PDP-6 successor mainframe
> PDP-11	16-bit word, 16-bit address[2]
> PDP-12	12-bit word, PDP-8/i + LINC hybrid
> PDP-14	control processor for customer-built special purpose equipment
> PDP-15	18-bit word, PDP-9 successor
> PDP-16	Register-Transfer Module hard-wired processor, PDP-14 competitor[3]
>
> There were later variants of some of these:
>
> PDP-7A
> PDP-8/s, PDP-8/i & /l, PDP-8/e & /f & /m, PDP-8/A
> PDP-9/L
> PDP-15/76
>
> After 1971, they stopped naming things "PDP-n", with the exception of models of
> the PDP-11 (which eventually consisted of more than 20 models designated
> PDP-11/nn), but even there the Pro-3x0 desktop systems were called something
> else.  Later models were microprocessor-based.
>
> The later PDP-10 models were designated DECsystem-10 and DECSYSTEM-20.
>
> The later PDP-8 models were the DECmate, DECmate II, and DECmate III (word
> processing desktop systems) and the VT-78, all based on Intersil or Harris
> microprocessors which were roughly the PDP-8/e in silicon.
>
> "high capability PDPs" = PDP-10 & follow-ons.  PDP-11?  Pfeh.

As always, it depends on what people mean by "high capability". The
PDP-10 were undeniably physically larger, and had a much larger address
space. But they weren't exactly fast...

> [1] 1 built by a customer, reputed to be an NSA front company.

You forgot the actual anchor in the text. This relates to the PDP-3.

> [2] With memory management, 18 or 22, in 16-bit segments.  Late models could
>      use separate instruction and data segments, for a total of 128KB in use at
>      one time.

??? What segments??? The PDP-11 have a plain simple page table. No
segments anywhere in sight. And each page is 8K.

You obviously need more exposure to PDP-11s, Rich. ;-)

	Johnny