A 'good-enough' H960 |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| PDP11 masthead replica

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 15:03:07 CDT 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 3:35 PM, Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org> wrote:
>
> steven at malikoff.com writes:
>
>> I would like the dimensions of the width and height.
>
> I've got one of these panels that came from the UKC machine room. I've
> put some photos of it, along with a 600dpi scan of the front, here:
>  http://photos.offog.org/pdp11-panel/g/

Now this is interesting.

On the inside cover page of the handbooks (say, the PDP11/45 handbook) you’ll find the company name “digital equipment corporation” with two different shapes for “t”, with a long bottom arc in “equipment” and a short one in the others where there’s a letter to the right.  Similarly, the “r” has a short arc in that text.

In the bezel as shown on the photo, the “t” is consistently the long-arc version.  And the arc of the “r” is longer than in the handbook.

Yet another oddity: that same handbook cover page has “processor handbook” in the same typeface.  In that text, the “r” have long arcs, longer than in “corporation” on that page, longer even than on the bezel of the photo.  And while it makes sense for the second “r” of processor, it looks weird for the first one.

Curious.  It suggests that there wasn’t particularly close control over what the various draftsmen could draw in creating those pages, or bezels.

	paul