out-of-mainstream minis

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri Jul 3 12:48:29 CDT 2015

I was going to write almost exactly this ... although the Wiki page
mentions that AT&T was one of the primary customers of the System/7, AFAIK,
the common control on the 1/2/3/4ESS switches was a proprietary WECo design
that was highly integrated into the design of the switch itself ... in the
5E, I think the common control became a 3B20D mini and later this was
replaced with an emulator of same running on some number of SPARCstations
...?

For operations support systems, I thought DEC was very popular in the Bell
System; I thought many OSS ran on some modified UNIX variant or another on
PDP-11 or, perhaps later, VAX which would have roughly been contemporaneous
with the System/7 ... I would be really interested to know what the
System/7 did at AT&T if anyone is familiar.

I have a particular interested in collecting digital telephone switches ...
and I too find it a real bummer that we could find ourselves in a world
where there isn't one complete, functional example of such historic
machines as the 1AESS, 4ESS, DMS-100, 5ESS and so on. Many completely
functional examples of the old cord-boards and even the electromechanical
step-by-step and crossbar switches exist in private hands but as far as I
know, nobody has managed to save a complete digital CO switch of any
vintage.

Best,

Sean