How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their ONLY source of web content?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jul 2 19:20:57 CDT 2015

> Subject: Re: How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their
>  ONLY source of web content?

I didn't see the original of this, probably (based on the headers)
because it was sent through gmail.  But, assuming the Subject: is an
accurate guide to the content, I may qualify.

My use of the Web falls into four categories:

(1) At work, for work purposes, on work-owned and work-administered
  machines.  This is minimal and done when the job in question has some
  internal tool that desn't provide any saner interface.

(2) Over others' shoulders, as it were; for example, I have had people
  hand me palmtop comput...umm, "smart phones", displaying something I
  suspect was obtained as a Web page.

(3) Scripted fetching of, eg, webcomic image files.  (There are a
  handful of webcomics which I find worthwhile enough to bother setting
  up such scripted fetches for.)

(4) lynx.

So far, I haven't run into anything that I care enough about to provoke
me to bother finding/building anything more elaborate than lynx for my
own use.

Does lynx count as "=< Netscape 4 or IE 6"?  Is my sample size of one
relevant for your purposes?  Only you can say. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org