Destructive Imaging of DECTAPE II Media

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jan 28 03:51:42 CST 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Chris Elmquist wrote:
> rollers and each tape I stuck in there promptly broke the band after it
> had moved less than an inch. In the end, out of dozens of tapes, I think

The problem is that the band loses its elasticity and gets longer. The
black PU based bands can be made functional again with the method that I
described in a post some months ago (hot water). You may try this method;
actually you must use this method with all tapes that haven't been used
for some time. My experience even with NOS QIC cartridges from the 90s is
that all such bands have that problem nowadays.

Christian