Destructive Imaging of DECTAPE II Media

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Jan 27 11:46:52 CST 2015

On 1/27/15 9:22 AM, Alexandre Souza wrote:

> why not using a 15x slower mech and using a slower (and cheaper) ADC?

Because the amplitude from the read head is a function of tape speed.

>     Or use a band from a known good cartridge, at least to recover the data.

I was going to suggest that. Any DC-100 sized cart can be used as a donor, and you
only need a couple of them.

There was a post about saving HP tapes by doing something to them (heating them?)
but now I can't find the post. Chuck was trying to find something to keep the hole
in the oxide from interfering with the EOT/BOT sensing, but I don't know if he found
something that worked reliably. You need something that is opaque to IR.

I also thought someone already imaged the 730 carts, but I can't find those either.
Maybe they were for the 750.

I have 100+ TU58s that I need to get to this year and already replaced the rollers with
new ones made from norprene tubing.