RF Shield for the A1200 Needed

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:21:43 CST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:17:35PM -0600, Jim Brain wrote:
> ANyone have a part like this:

> "you might have the item i am looking for (from your vast collection of
> parts) which is the RF Shield for the A1200. Looking for only the UPPER or
> even UPPER/LOWER."

The RF shield is completely redundant and is not necessary for correct
operation of the machine.  The retention tabs brittle and it's prone to
corrosion, so the whole thing tends to get thrown away the first time one needs
to poke around inside the machine.  The original purpose of the shield is
presumably to satisfy 1980s-era FCC emissions rules preventing stomping over
HF, but that boat has *long* sailed and HF is just a wasteground now.

(Here in EU-land, we never needed to give a damn about FCC regulations even
back then.)

It's also not a weird or obscure part, but just a thin sheet of steel that is
cut and folded to fit the case.  One could just take an existing shield and use
it as a template to make a copy, and it's the sort of thing that any hackspace
should be able to do easily.

> I don't have Amiga parts, but would like to help this person.

I've got two intact sets but they're still in machines, and I'm guessing that
your buyer wouldn't make it worth my while to extract and post them.