MEM11 Status Update

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Tue Jan 20 10:37:56 CST 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 15:27, Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:

>> Please, make the UI as cryptic as needed to make all the features (e.g.
>> more
>> disk controllers :-) fit - documentation can explain what all the cryptic
>> names are. (Or perhaps even a front-end running on a PC which is connected
>> the MEM11 over the serial line.)
>
> That was my original thought (command front end) but that would mean
> writing/supporting a
> bunch of different programs for different OS/platforms and I want the MEM11
> to  pretty much
> stand on its own (which is why I'm unhappy about not having HELP...but I may
> have solved that
> one).  I intentionally didn't make the UI cryptic.  It's all command line
> driven and somewhat
> verbose (ie SET DL11 0 BASE-ADDRESS 777540).

One possible random thought - you could have a supporting program
which just provides an enhanced CLI interface, with all the help, TAB
for commandline completion etc, command history, plus local commands
to load/save the config to a file and an xmodem implementation.

It should be _relatively_ easy to keep it OS agnostic with small per
OS methods for opening the serial port and reading characters from the
CLI.

The base system would still be completely standalone, but the enhanced
UI would be easy to spin up for those who like a plush armchair CLI
experience :)