VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Jan 18 16:51:46 CST 2015

On 2015-01-18 22:47, Robert Jarratt wrote:

> [...]

I can't remember (and haven't checked), but make sure that chip isn't
one of those funny one that requires several clocks or power levels.

>> I wouldn't care much for a logic analyzer at this point. A good scope will tell
>> you more. Nice sharp edges to signals when they shift. Times that look
>> reasonable... Steady levels, and correct levels.
>
> It will never be steady with a scope because the address lines won't be a regular waveform. That said they looked very different on the faulty board to how they looked on the good board.

It should be steady between clocks.
You should essentially run up the frequency of the scope so that you can
see each clock phase nice and wide. Checking address pins you should
then also have the same nice long bits. You might see some initial ring
when moving to a different level, but that should be very small and
short. After that it should be level for the rest of the clock cycle.

Ie. You need to look closer. Just just "it's some kind of activity going
on".

>>> RD and WR are active low, and they are both high, so I suppose they could be
>> shorted high, but I don't know.
>>
>> That will be very hard to verify without disconnecting the pins. So let's focus on
>> other things for the moment.
>

> I have a desoldering gun now, so desoldering is no longer the problem it once was for me, but I would still prefer to avoid this if possible. I am not sure what else to check though.

That do help. :-)
But I understand you. Not much point in replacing components that turns
out to be fine. Especially since it still might be destructive to remove
them.

	Johnny