IBM System/36 follow up

Hector Saint-Prix tots at matinino.com
Thu Jan 15 17:20:37 CST 2015

Hi everyone,

Back to you guys with a small gallery of pictures of the machine via
Dropbox. It is a 5360 system ( 1m³ / 700 pounds), with french labeled
panel. I have not tried to open its guts yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fiyipqf9p92mery/AACAXjdASRhVNHM9sPCzh6DVa?dl=0

The system is located in Martinique (French West Indies).
It had only one owner, a Medical Laboratory that bought it between
1985-1987 I think and used it on a network with at least 4 maybe 5
terminals and a printer. The system used a software sold by a Paris
based company that still exist and keeps on selling software solutions
on AS/400 architecture. The Laboratory migrated to new hardware. Later
it moved and left the 5360 in the old place.
I have no clue about the configuration but I know it had a hard drive
and it supported floppy disk banks.

 From what I've been told, there is no way it can shipped by boat to
North America. Simply because you have to fill up a container to be able
to make a cargo shipment, and very very few stuff goes this direction so
it would take a long while before fullfilling the requirement. The only
easy shipping option to North-America is by airplane which is quite a
proposition for a 1m³ / 320kg box.
To send it as a whole to Europe instead is quite easy. There is freight
boarding every week and containers are on heavy rotation.
Shipping to the main port destination which is "Le Havre, France" would
in the vinicity of 500 euros, though some taxes in arrival are to be
expected (20% on the items value).

I will search the place so more, maybe I can find some documentation.

Truly Yours,

Hector