Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Jan 15 08:14:32 CST 2015

On 2015-01-15 14:48, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:42:11AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2015-01-15 06:59, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there some kind of backup/archiving tool on rsx which you
>>> could wrap files and metadata in?
>>>
>>> Before transfer to bag-of-bytes systems?
>>
>> Yes. I could certainly do that. However, that means someone would
>> need to write an unpacking tool from this format, and to then write
>> some "userful" output under a Unix system. But this would definitely
>> be doable.
>>

> Of course, I was under the impression that the target was
> another RSX system and the unix system was just an intermediate
> step. But I might have dreamt that part :)

I'm not entirely clear what the purpose was. I pointed out that
transferring the tape file over ftp to a different type of system was
not possible, as information is lost.

If you want to just store intermediately on another system, then my
encoding/decoding program is perfect. But most of the time, if you are
going to transfer between two RSX systems, you can just do it directly
instead, and FTP will do it right already.

	Johnny