Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000

jim s jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sun Jan 11 03:50:09 CST 2015

On 1/10/2015 7:41 PM, Guy Sotomayor wrote:
> Yes, I tried to talk to him at about the same time and got nowhere.
> This time I made an actual
> offer but I needed to see it and might up it depending upon the
> condition.  As you can see from
> my earlier posts today that because of the way it was put into storage
> and the way it was stored
> it's basically all just scrap now which is too bad.
>
> TTFN - Guy

I talked to him at length and got a little more on the story.  The path
the systems took apparently was from a company where he worked, then
idle.  The company donated them to a local college where they were used
in some capacity for a while then stored.  The storage was not under his
control, and though he'd had direct interaction when it was originally
in production, he did admit that he thought some damage had occurred
when the college had stored the units.

I'm willing to say that my impression of the guy is that he had very
high expectations of what he had stored, and has invested a lot in it,
but doesn't get what is really required to make these things go.  When
you deal with people heavily invested in something they are not
realistic, and will want more than an item should be priced at.

He may or may not be at the end of his capability to store it or
whatever where it is, he says he needs to sell it as he has imminent
plans to move to NM, so that deadline is self imposed, and should not
legitimately impact the negotiation.  Just he should be and seems to be
more open to negotiating now.

I'm sad to hear it was damaged as badly as it was, had high hopes the
4341 had at least stayed closed and somewhat safe.  I think the console
controller is in the end chassis.  The main swing outs have the main
processor.  Don't try to swing them one at a time, the thing will tip.

Jim