Proud owner of a SDK-86, now what

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri Jan 9 09:53:14 CST 2015

If it fires up OK, pretty much all you should need to get going is an ASM
programmer's reference for the 8086 and some idea of what the memory map is
on that SBC... you can probably find both floating around on Bitsavers or
something. Intel did the H/W design on this one so you can just focus on
writing software ;)

If you are looking for more resources, I have a number of these books from
Merrill Publishing... there is one about the 8086/8088 in particular,
"8086/8088 Microprocessor: Architecture, Programming and Interfacing" by
Brey, might be worth checking out... I don't own that particular title, but
I own several other titles from the same publishing house and they are all
pretty good.

What you can do is limited only by your imagination! If I were you, I'd
probably start out trying to interface a UART, get a little monitor running
on a TTY, and go from there :)

Best,

Sean