Repairing A4000 leaky NiCd damage?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 00:23:14 CST 2015

Happy New Year, all!

Has anyone here gone through the process of reparing leaky NiCd damage
to an A4000 motherboard?  I _thought_ I had removed the battery some
time ago but puttering around today, I cracked open the case to find
the battery still there and some damage around U891 (a 74F245) and
U850 (Bank 3 DIMM socket).  I have washed off the residue but I may
have to pull a DIMM socket to get access to the vias under it.

I know the general process, but I'm curious if anyone has done this
specifically to an A4000 board and has any tips.  As I said, I'm
probably going to have to pull the DIMM socket to get to all the
damage.

Barring success from running a dozen or so repair wires, would anyone
happen to have a lead on an A4000 motherboard?  Everything else in the
machine should be good, the Daughter Card, the CPU card, etc...

It's my only A4000, so I'd like to get it back up and running, or
replace it if necessary.

Thanks for any tips,

-ethan