von Neumann documentary clip

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Fri Feb 27 15:44:49 CST 2015

>> Their work resulted in three recent academic papers and a new book coming soon, in which they clearly found that ENIAC was up-and-running in stored-program configuration a short time before the Manchester and any other computers: www.eniacinaction.com.
> The authors of the articles carefully avoid declarations of ENIAC as a stored-program machine.

Tom stated (in an email last fall): "we do conclude that an entirely
practical version of the programming method described in the seminal
1945 First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC was implemented on ENIAC in
March-April 1948, some months before the Manchester “Baby” ran what has
usually been considered the first modern program."