What resolution should I scan a missing print set at?

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Feb 18 19:42:18 CST 2015

On 18/02/15 8:33 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Hi all, I have a PDP-11 print set (MP00196, M9301 Bootstrap/Terminator) which
> is not online. I wish to scan my copy, and donate the scan to all the
> repositories.  What resolution should I scan it at?
>
> I looked at a couple that are available as TIFFs, and they claim to be 600 dpi
> - that can't be right, is it? If it is, no problem, I'm happy to do it at that
> resolution, but I just don't want to do silly overkill.

For printsets, 600dpi may not be overkill - it is probably about right;
some of that linework and small text really is spidery. If in doubt,
scan a page and ask for opinions, though a good rule of thumb is: "When
viewed pixel to pixel, is all the text and linework completely clear and
unambiguous or is it breaking up, and hard to decide if that is a B or
an 8".

--Toby