Multi-node BBS'

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Feb 17 09:16:06 CST 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Mike Loewen wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, JP Hindin wrote:
>
> > How did people set up multi-node BBS' back in the day?
> >
> > I know you could run something like Desqview and run multiple copies on a
> > single system, and some BBS' (like TBBS) had built-in multitasking so it
> > handled multiple modems. And, of course, you could get fancy and run a
> > Novell network. Were there other ways of doing this?
>
>     Yes, on a real multi-tasking OS.  A friend of mine and I ran a
> home-grown BBS on a Tandy 6000HD running Xenix for a couple of years
> starting in 1986 in Sumner, WA.  Four 1200bps modems plus the console
> allowed 5 of us to be on at the same time.  It was primarily a message
> system (room-based), with a real-time chat facility.

<chuckles>

True, thanks Mike. I was being specific about DOS, actually - although I
didn't say so, my bad. Certainly there were... shall we say, somewhat more
advanced OS' that just simply "worked". I was more curious about what
wedges people put in place to make multi-nodes in DOS... where it really
didn't.

Thanks though!

 - JP