Failed ICs and components

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:51:20 CST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> The startup resistors of 'normal' SMPSUs are well-known for failing. They
> are typically around 100k and have about 200V across them, so it's not
> an over-power issue. It would be interesting to know how they failed.
>
> Perhaps somebody who repairs SMPSUs could keep a few for you.

That sounds quite promising. I am looking forward to doing some life
testing on newer devices as well.

ARGH! It is a pity you didn't ask for this about 3 months ago. I had kept
> all the ICs I had replaced in HP98x0 machines, these were mostly TTL and
> probably some TI ones. Certainly a fair number of 7474s and 74H40s.
> Alas I am pretty sure that is one thing I didn't bother to keep and move
> to the new house. If I am wrong about that and they turn up here you are
> welcome to them.

Darn! That sounded like a good collection. Alas, I know I haven't kept
every bad IC either (except that one from the PDP-8/E...not really sure why
until now, I guess). But if you do find them, I could certainly use them.

Kyle