Non-512-byte sector drive cloning?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 17:15:40 CST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Al Kossow wrote:
>> Are they common command set drives?
> Should be.  I don't believe CompuServe did anything too silly.

I don't have any special insight into it, but wouldn't it have been a
matter of whether Systems Concepts did anything too silly? Surely
Compuserve must have purchased whatever kind of drives SC specified
for use with the SC40, even when Compuserve built the machines
themselves.

SC certainly wasn't a large enough purchaser of disk drives that any
of the mainstream disk manufacturers would have built anything
particularly special for them.  However, there were a lot of standard
SCSI drives that could be formatted with a user-specified block size.
Some allowed arbitrary size within a range, while others only had a
few specific choices.