Magnetic tape filesystem

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Feb 8 19:18:15 CST 2015

On 02/08/2015 04:50 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:
> I am wondering if there were any magnetic tape filesystem?
>
> I know that some micro you could give a name to your data/program on the
> audio cassette and they had a catalogue feature
>
> I also know about Linear Tape File System (LTFS)
>
> Has anyone tried putting cp/m or fat filesystem on audio cassette?

Magtape filesystems have been around since the 1950s at least, and
possibly the 50s.  "ANSI tape labels" not only define file names, but
all of the other information you'd expect (system, creation date, file
name, etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_label

Problem arose when micro- and mini-computer software developers didn't
realize that a standard had existed for years.  Some mini makers did
implement them, but by no means all.

--Chuck