It's time to restore the 11/45.

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Feb 4 21:00:59 CST 2015

On 02/04/2015 12:43 PM, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Hi,
>    Having gotten the 11/34 rig up to a good spec, I'm sufficiently excited
> to tackle the 11/45.  It's been powered off since 2004, when I briefly
> turned it on only to find a wild jumble of lights and that none of the
> front panel switches or knobs did anything to the lights.  Couldn't get it
> to run or deposit values or *anything*.  I therefore assumed it was badly
> broken and so left it until now.  It has stayed perfectly high and dry but
> has gone to extremes in temperature as the storage isn't climate controlled
> (this is in western Pennsylvania).  And there's a lot of dust.

The 11/45 has a row of little step-down regulator modules,
all plugged in with
those horrible AMP Mate-n-Lock connectors.  We often had bad
contacts on
those and they would sometimes burn the connector housings
or char the
ends of the wires.  That was all about 1980, I can't imagine
they've improved
with age.  I think you may have more trouble with these than
anything else
in the machine.

You will probably also have problems with all the fans.  I
replaced the lights in
our console with LEDs.

As for a dead console, if the ACOK signal is indicating "not
ok" then the console
probably will be frozen.

Jon