The best spreadsheet / database program for Commodore 64?

Mike Whalen mikew at thecomputervalet.com
Sun Dec 20 08:48:08 CST 2015

On Saturday, December 19, 2015, Mike <tulsamike3434 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything like Appleworks 1.0 for the commodore 64? if so could
> you be kind enough to give me the name of the program? I have searched
> but have found nothing of any value. I just would like a checkbool
> ledger and a savings spreadsheet.

The first one that comes to mind is Magic Desk. It's primitive and,
apparently, had some issues. http://toastytech.com/guis/magdesk.html

I remember using that one. The interface is wicked slow.

GEOS was also pretty well populated with various applications like the ones
you seek. You'd need a mouse for hardware and, unfortunately, I've not had
an easy time getting it to work well in emulation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_(8-bit_operating_system)

GEOS was fun, fun to play with.

You can look at the software produced by Batteries Included. They did
produce an integrated suite but not with all the modules you seek. BI
produced tons of productivity software for the platform.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batteries_Included_(company)