Display-less computing

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Dec 14 23:37:00 CST 2015

On 12/14/2015 06:05 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

> I've only ever seen them called "12" and "11" for the top and next
> rows respectively.  For example, the card code listing on the IBM 360
> "green card" shows them that way (e.g., A is 12-1).

Same here.  But it's not outside the range of possibility that *someone*
called them X and Y, although I don't know who did.  Doug Jones doesn't
mention it.

Let's not forget the System/3 96-column cards.  BA8421 (sort of like
7-track mag tape), with a really wacky way to combine the columns to
make 8-bit bytes.

Univac, of course, had their own system with their double-45 column
system, round holes and all.

--Chuck