PDP 11/05 S vs 11/05 NC

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:12:44 CST 2015

Just to change the subject..

There were "S" and an "NC" version of 11/05 high profile system.  Why?

I am curious if any DEC historians here know the reason for two versions of
the same DEC PDP 11/05 *high profile* computer (not talking about the low
profile).    There are separate manuals for each type.

The S seems to be more OEM-ish because it comes in an BA11-K chassis.  I am
guessing you'd see an 11/05 S as part of a larger system (PDP 10), whereas
the NC model would be for a stand alone system. ???

This S's BA11-K chassis was used by other hardware by simply changing the
backplane. The "NC" model chassis seems to be specifically for the 11/05 I
don't think it appears anywhere else.

If anyone is interested to see the different models I have a thread on my
site for each type:
11/05 S

11/05 NC

... and then there are the 11/10's....