IDE knowledge anyone?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 11 13:19:34 CST 2015

On 12/11/2015 03:45 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> You are completely right, but the drive is selected always as this is
> a "one drive only" implementation. The same drive-selection-magic
> would otherwise also apply to the "Read Sector Buffer" command which
> works without any error.

Hmmm, another piece of the puzzle perhaps.  If memory serves, "read
sector buffer" and "identify" are two operations that are restricted to
PIO 0 mode (I'll have to check, but I think that's true).

If you issue a "read sector buffer" right after the LBA read sector
aborts, do you get the correct data back?

If so, I wonder if the drive is expecting that DMA mode will be used by
default.

Just a thought.

--Chuck