IDE knowledge anyone?

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Fri Dec 11 01:44:53 CST 2015

Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/2015 01:37 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
>> OK - but those drives should also work on non-PATA-6 systems but
>> with reduced capacity - right?
>
> As I recall (it's been at least a decade and a half), that's
> true--you just don't get the full drive.

More than a couple of 100 MB would not make any sense at all as there
is just not enough data to fill up the drive with on that host ;)

> How are you handling 16-bit data port accesses--or is this not an 8
> bit ATMega?

normaly I would read the lower and the higher 8 bits from 2 different
ports one after each other. But as My ports are already "used up" for
other stuff, I have latches storing the higher part of th 16Bits. This
should of course not cause problems in the early stage of setting the
drive registers and issuing the command as this only happens in the
lower 8 bits.

http://www.pofo.de/P8000/notes/plaene/eigene/P8000_WDC_Emulator/P8000_WDC_Emulator_v1.2_Plan.pdf