Best 200 buck I have ever spent!!! Deal of a lifetime!!!

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Wed Dec 9 15:40:35 CST 2015

> Funny, I just picked up two boxed machines today, along with a 1541, docs,
> cables, modem, and a VIC-1525 printer. I've not brought everything inside to
> take a better look at it all yet, although I did notice that one machine has
> gray function keys and the other orange - I'm not sure if there's any
> significance attached to that in terms of age (both machines are the breadbox
> type)

I just picked up a second (boxed but rough box) 1541 drive over the
weekend. Got around to testing it using a XA1541 cable hanging from my
Windows 98/Dos host (Dolch 64.) This time using SC after I figured out how
to navigate with it I was able to format then write a D64 image to floppy.
The other dos utility didn't seem to format first so it would bomb out
(but it bombs out after transfer of code to drive / establish connection.)

I want to write some demos and music stuff to floppys to have on hand at
events where we put out all of our vintage stuff for public to play with.

I have another 1541 but it gets crazy hot (case started melting) and I
haven't had a chance to crack it open to look at it. Might pass it off to
someone else as I refine my collection.

--
Ethan O'Toole