Evotek Winchester Harddisk

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Mon Dec 7 13:38:40 CST 2015

Tom Gardner <t.gardner at computer.org> wrote:

> Sorry If I didn't make myself clear, I am suggesting one never
> acquire an Evotek drive today other than perhaps as an historical
> curiosity.
>

> The Finch was a short lived 8-inch HDD that went up to 42 MB
> unformatted BUT according to Disk/Trend It did not use an ST506
> interface but instead came with this  variety of interfaces: Finch,
> LDI, SMD or SA1000!  So your problem is likely to be finding a drive
> that matches the interface of yr controller card.   Some possibilities
>
> ·         Finch interface was available on certain CDC Wren 5½-inch
> models, e.g. 9415

 From what I understood in the Zilog System 8000 manuals, it is the
Finch interface.

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/zilog/s8000/03-3237-04_hwRef_Dec82.pdf

Page 33 - Drive Performance Characterstics
Page 47 - Pinout of the WDC-Controller Disk Connector
Page 65-69 - Describing Driver Configurations

Here are pictures of harddisks used in the System 8000:

http://pics.pofo.de/gallery3/index.php/S8000/Harddisk

And this is the so called "FINCH Adapter Board" used in the S8000:

http://pics.pofo.de/gallery3/index.php/S8000/S8000_boards/FINCH-Adapter-Board