SCSI Questions (Was: "Re: Purchased a Microvax 3800")

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:25:25 CST 2015

On 6 December 2015 at 13:24, Mark G. Thomas <Mark at misty.com> wrote:
> As much as I love old CPUs, I've lost my patience with hard disk drives.
> I've been using AztecMonster (search ebay) CF-SCSI adapters, with several-GB
> CF cards instead of spinning disks. The KA660 and several PDP-11/83s
> here run reliably from CF storage. I see now there are SCSI2SD cards for
> half the price of the AztecMonster CF adapters I've been using. These
> might be an alternative, if they play okay with whatever q-bus SCSI
> controller you find. Installing from SCSI CDROM and using flash
> storage is definitely the way to go if you can get the parts.

That's great news to hear that the AztecMonster works on QBUS PDP-11s.
I now know exactly what my future plans are...

But I have a "random" question for those here. I know some of the QBUS
(and UNIBUS) SCSI controllers can act both as an MSCP and TMSCP
controller. (CMD CQD-220A/TM for one example.) And I know that several
of the PDP-11 operating systems install from tape, and can install
from TMSCP tape (hello RSTS/E). What I'd like to know is: Is there
anything out there that can emulate a SCSI tape device on a CF card/SD
card/USB stick/what-have-you?

Best regards,
Christian
--