TU-58

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Dec 2 15:40:37 CST 2015

I have no idea what the material is called.  I just bought something
that was close on the O.D. and I.D. that I thought would work.   But,
when I look up PEX tubing at Home Depot, I found some stuff with .625"
O.D. which is maybe just a tad smaller than what I found, and 0.5" I.D.
which seems bigger than what I found.  Really, the only way I'd know for
sure is if I found the same stuff again - and I'm not 100% sure whether
I found it at Home Depot or an Ace hardware store.

This stuff has an orange jacket, about 17mm O.D., and a concentric inner
black part, with an I.D. of 10mm.  There is some kind of cloth mesh in
between the layers - I can see signs of the pattern in the outer jacket,
and I can see threads from it on the drives I actually used it on.

I checked, and I don't see any signs of glue - I probably picked it to
match the O.D. of the aluminum hub on the drive and press fit it.  I
certainly sanded the outer jacket down some - but it does not seem to be
much at all - perhaps just enough to rough up the surface some.
Whatever I did, it ended up without significant flat spots.  I seem to
recall rotating it between my thumb and forefinger as I rubbed it
against some sandpaper.

After the repair, I had good luck reading some Micro VAX diagnostic and
Microcode tapes.

JRJ