Sales of unearthed Atari games total more than $100,000

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Aug 30 04:13:42 CDT 2015

On 2015-08-30 03:48, drlegendre . wrote:
> Have the prices for 2600 E.T. carts climbed over the years, or is these
> buyers paying a premium to own a "Genuine landfill ATARI E.T. game,
> complete with certificate of authenticity" etc.?
>
> Thing is, the article mentions only a few hundred carts. Rumor had it that
> many thousands of carts were dumped, and realistically, such an operation
> would never have been worth the while to dispose of only a few hundred, or
> maybe a couple thousand carts.
>
> Volumes like that could easily be crushed & ground-up. No need to drag
> equipment out to the middle of the desert, just to dump a few hundred
> pounds of junk.

They (Atari) dumped/crushed approximately 700.000 games in the landfill.
They (interested people) recently excavated a small part, and recovered
a few hundred games. This is not related to how many were in there. Much
was rubble, and most was not excavated.
It was decided to auction off some of the games recovered to benefit the
local town in Mexico, if I remember right.

	Johnny