IBM 1620

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 12:53:56 CDT 2015

On 08/29/2015 03:32 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Aug 29, 2015, at 12:36 AM, Lyle Bickley <lbickley at bickleywest.com> wrote:

>> I was not on the Team that did the memory analysis and the ultimate
>> "modern" replacement memory. However, when I joined the Team, I asked
>> similar questions and was told that the core memory was literally
>> "falling apart" and was not repairable.
>
> I sure have a hard time fathoming any of this.

Why? Maybe attaching new bits of wire to the dissolved ends wasn't possible
- i.e. the existing memory couldn't be repaired - and there simply wasn't
the time/resources/money/expertise to rebuild it from scratch. Much better
to replace it *for now* with a more modern part, such that the rest of the
machine could be shown working, and it doesn't rule out the possibility of
a period fix at a later date.

cheers

Jules