IBM 1620

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Aug 29 15:32:27 CDT 2015

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 12:36 AM, Lyle Bickley <lbickley at bickleywest.com> wrote:

> I was not on the Team that did the memory analysis and the ultimate
> "modern" replacement memory. However, when I joined the Team, I asked
> similar questions and was told that the core memory was literally
> "falling apart" and was not repairable.

I sure have a hard time fathoming any of this.

Quite apart from the obvious one of building a pin-compatible modern memory, another answer comes to mind.  If a core plane has come apart, the cores could be recovered and restrung.  That requires patience and dexterity, but it should be doable.  It also requires a device to hold the cores correctly for threading; something like that could easily be made in a a 3d printer.

	paul