Advice about repairing an IBM 5151

Vlad Stamate vlad.stamate at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 20:07:52 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to identify why my IBM 5151 display has no picture when
connected to a normal MDA card in a IBM PC 5150. So armed with an
oscilloscope, digital multi-meter and the SAMS Computerfacts for it I
started to investigate. First, the card does send out signal and that
signal does reach the board inside the monitor. I checked the power
part of the circuit, all diodes and the transistor check fine. I
probed some of the vertical and horizontal transistors and there is a
signal there too. Then on the video board both TR19 and TR20 have on
their collector and emitter (respectively) a signal (95Khz). What else
can possibly be wrong?

The SAMS manual talks about "injecting a video signal" at different
pins however I have no idea exactly how to do that.

So there is current going out of the power part and there is signal on
the video board attached to the neck of the CRT.

Regards,
Vlad.