Osborne O1 Keyboard issues

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:52:32 CDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 09:13 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> On the bright side, I may be able to send you some bootable media, if you
> still need it.

Thanks for the offer, but I definitely have it somewhere - I'm just not
sure where! Eventually I'll have the PC set up to write images again anyway
(I'm just reorganizing my work/storage space at the moment so it's a bit of
a disaster area)

> I figure I'll go the solvent flush route, using tri-chlor, and see where
> that goes. But honestly, I don't know what could be causing so many 'stuck'
> keys on this thing!

Do any of the keys feel different? I assume there's a sponge pad on the
bottom of each key to produce the right feel when the key is pressed - I
wonder if something's been spilled in yours at some point, and some of
those pads have expanded and/or gone hard... although I suppose it could
just be age-related deterioration.

> As ever, my fear is that the materials won't withstand the solvent, even if
> it's tri-chlor, and I'll end up washing away every hope of survival. Water
> might be OK, but I'd have to grab a couple gals of distilled first.

Well, if there is sponge in there and it's gone bad then I suppose opening
the thing up is the only solution anyway :(

> Ultimately, the dreaded R&R is the option. Not sure if I have the
> patience...

Yup, it'd certainly be a job. Unfortunately I don't have the contact info
for the guy who took the third one of these machines, but I suppose he may
surface on the list at some point. It's possible that machine was snafu in
such a way that there might be a surplus keyboard available...

cheers

Jules