9-Track 1/2" Tape Drive Recommendations?

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Sat Aug 22 00:20:40 CDT 2015

> I have had good results with Fujitsu M2444AC Pertec interface 9-track
> 1/2-inch tape drives
>
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/fujitsu/B03P-5325-
> 0100A_02B_M244X_Series_Streaming_Tape_Drive_CE_Manual_May89.pdf

Glen,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had actually seen the drives you linked to on eBay. The seller is about 1 hour drive away from me each way (w/out traffic) so definitely doable by LA standards.

The usually take best offers. At times they are more reasonable then others but I don't think I will get anywhere close to $100 w/ them. I will however, keep an eye on it. The manual load vs. automatic load is not a big issue and may actually be cool in a retro way. Surprisingly these are the cheapest drives they sell. The Ciphers they have are listed for $600 - $900.

One question: from the pictures it was not clear if this used the three or two connector Pertec interface? I am guessing two but better to ask than end up with a 200lb paper weight!

-Ali