More on manuals plus rescue

Jason Scott jason at textfiles.com
Thu Aug 20 12:48:08 CDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> What he has done is ripped off the content while NEVER agreeing to be one
> of the mirrors, freezing
> what he took and attempting to cluelessly make it 'accessable' burying it
> in something impossible for
> anyone ELSE to mirror. The files DON'T get fixed when I update them.

The rest of this discussion deserves attention, but this particular
statement is, I'm sad to say, a false characterization.

I run the textfiles.com mirror, which is at
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers - I've been running that since day one
of becoming a mirror, and it is an exact rsync'd mirror of bitsavers. The
processing work done to put items over on the Internet Archive, which is a
matter of discussion and debate, is done by probing this mirror. It is, I
repeat, an exact mirroring of the bitsavers mirror, via rsync. This is even
listed on the front of the bitsavers webpage! As textfiles.com, I've been
mirroring bitsavers since before I joined archive.org in 2011.

I'll answer the questions about the Internet Archive's presenting of
bitsavers when I calm down, but I've definitely been a true mirror for
about five years now.