test equipment / Re: Z80 / Z84C Swap (Doh!)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:01:56 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I suffered with a low-end Tek analog scope until a few years ago; have been using a Tek DSO for the last few years.
>
> While there are occasions I'd like to have an LA, I can't say there are any instances where I've had to have an LA (I still don't have one).
> From a usefulness perspective I'd get a DSO long before an LA.

I'd generally agree.

In my experience, during development of new digital hardware of any
complexity, both a DSO and a LA are extremely helpful, but for
diagnosing failures of previously working hardware, the DSO is usually
more important.

If a person has any reasonable business justification, a Rigol
MSO1104Z mixed-signal oscilliscope (100 MHz four-channel DSO with
integral 16-channel logic analyzer) is under $1000, and for another
$230 you can get the model with the -S suffix, which also includes a
two-channel waveform generator.  I generally don't recommend cheap
Chinese test equipment, but the Rigol stuff is actually pretty good.