Z80 / Z84C Swap (Doh!)

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Mon Aug 17 12:40:39 CDT 2015

You should be able to get a replacement NMOS Z80 from Jameco for four or
five bucks ... if you put a 5V CMOS Z80 in there, I wouldn't expect it to
really hurt anything; it might not run exactly right depending on
tolerances in the system design I would suspect mostly due to (a) logic
threshold differences and (b) fan-out differences especially given one
logic family driving another ... but I wouldn't expect it to really damage
anything.

I have a mostly working Executive ... logic is OK but the screen will roll
when the environmental conditions are just right (probably some caps are
getting dodgy, or a cold solder joint) ... it's usable ... I have all the
original media and documentation; plenty of bootable floppies; I've got a
sleeve of 5.25" blanks and I could run off a few duplicates for you ... not
sure if these will work on the Osborne 1 ... if you're in the USA and you
want to give some of the media from the Executive a shot, maybe I could
help you out.

Best,

Sean