Shugart 800-8 media centering problem

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sat Aug 15 10:37:29 CDT 2015

Certainly this thing is old enough.  But I don't see how it would ever
work if that were the case.

When the media is on center, it works flawlessly, including interchange
with another drive.

One thing I am going to try today is to manually center the media with
the AC power disconnected (not spinning), and then mount the clamp and
clamp it to see if it works consistently when I do that. I think it
will, and if so, then it would eliminate all of the sorts of suggestions
I have seen from folks so far.