Classic programming

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Aug 9 13:46:12 CDT 2015

    > From: Paul Koning

    > Algol 60, that is. It was used as the inspiration by just about
    > everything that followed

I've just remembered that the Algol (probably Algol-60, but the manual
doesn't say) interpreter used for the programming languages course at MIT was
adapted from the Delphi (a homebrew PDP-11 OS used at MIT) version, to a
version that would run under Unix V6. So it should be runnable under any
PDP-11 emulator.

I _think_ I have that on those backup tapes I'm trying to get read, so maybe
someday (it's a pity none of that MIT Unix stuff seems to have escaped into
preservation, at least, so far) it will be widely available.

They had a BCPL compiler for the PDP-11 that ran under Unix, too. Ditto about
'on the tape'.

    > From: Phil Budne

    > Mostly I write SNOBOL4 throw away programs for textual transformations.

Huh, that's what Regex-Replace is for! ;-)

	Noel