VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Aug 8 05:43:54 CDT 2015

On 2015-08-08 12:21, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
>> Peter Coghlan wrote:

>>> I'm not sure but I think I recall getting that error when trying to mount a
>>> disk that had media problems :-(
>>
>> Yes, so are the hints in the manuals.
>> .. but I've erased and verified thoses disks with the Utilities on them
>> (>>> set host/dup/DSSI/bus:0 0 params)
>> and that verify came up w/o errors. I had one disk that would'nt spin up
>> after power up and I've repaired that disk with an rubber hammer :-)
>> (Reported that months before) ..but taht I'snt the disk I'm trying to
>> install.
>>
>> I've used the RF Series Integrated Storage Element Users Guide
>> (http://computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/dec94mds/rf72dug8.pdf)
>> to do this and in this moment I've run Verify again:
>>
>> LBN Statistics:
>>                       0 Total Block(s) in error
>> Complete
>> ..Hmm
>>
>> So I think I missed one step, a logical format or so... on the other side
>> I can find no hints what that could be..
>>
>> My tries to install produces the same errors on the two RF31 disks,
>> haven't tried to install on the RF71 but could do this, they are all empty.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Holm
>
> Tried the RF71 and it worked!

Good.

> After the successful backup the Backup asked for a "YES" if I would do
> additional actions and I've tried DIA0 agin wich resulted in the same
> errors.

As I would have expected. That drive didn't change just because you
installed to another drive.

> So I think I must have done something different wit that DSSI DUP utiliy.

I disagree. The disk drive is in a state which you need to clear. The
question is how you clear it. But since you now have VMS installed
somewhere, I'm sure VMS can help you clear the state for that disk.

	Johnny