Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Thu Aug 6 13:43:27 CDT 2015

Acch.  All this modern/complicated stuff.  Once you powered on an IBM
1410 (2 seconds), you could have it (141O O/S: 1410-PR-155) running in
as little as a minute, counting the tape drive mount:

Mount tape on unit 0 [30 seconds tops, as tape is probably already there]
Storage Scan to +1
Sense switches to a blank character
[The above two were normally left that way]
Mode switch to CE
Computer Reset
Start
00000    [This clears storage]
Computer Reset
Move Mode Switch to Display
Start
00000    [Display before altering]
Press margin release on console typewriter while it types out "bbbbb"
Computer Reset
Move Mode Switch to Alter
00000
A(WM)L%B000012$(WM)N   [Read tape to end of core/record to loc 12]
Computer Reset
Start
[Wait about 10 seconds for 1410-PR-155 to load]

:)