M9301-YB Bootstrap/Terminator ROM dumps / listings?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Apr 30 15:34:26 CDT 2015

    > From: Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se

    > The per-device code are in separate PROMs that are used in both the
    > 9301 and 9312. Those are the ones with the device code as constants in
    > the beginning of memory space for the PROM, by the way.

As I mentioned, the M9301-YA, at least, does not have this code. (See the
listing.) Also, again on the M9301-YA, the various bootstraps, diagnostics,
and console, are scattered through both banks (ditto), so one can't just
replace a PROM or two to chance the supported devices; one would have to
replace the entire set of 4 PROMs.

    > I hope you also are aware that both the M9301 and the M9312 have
    > different boot roms for some machines. I know that the 11/70 use
    > different roms with other tests than other PDP-11s, and I seem to
    > remember that one or two others do as well. (The 11/60 keeps popping up
    > in my brain...)

I have yet to investigate the M9312's in depth, but I did know there are quite
a few different versions of the M9301 (which amount to different ROMs: I know
there are two different etch revisions of the card itself, but I think they
are programming-wise identical). I don't know of any good list of the
variants, but here are the versions I know of (device codes abbreviated to
save typing):

M9301-YA	/04 and /34 OEM version; has basic diagnostics, console emulator,
		boots from various devices (RK, RP, TC, TM, DL, PC, TA, RX),
		supports auto-boot on power on, and also power-fail restart

M9301-YB	/04 and /34 end user version; has basic diagnostics, console emulator,
		boots from various devices (RK, RP, TC, TM, TA, RX, DL, PC,
		RJS, RJP, TJU), also power-fail restart

M9301-YC	/70 version; contains basic CPU, cache and memory diagnostics,
		boots from various devices (TM, TC, RK, RP, RK06, RJS, RJP, TJU, RX)

M9301-YD	All models; contains code to allow a terminal attached to the
		machine to be a terminal on some other line; also has boot
		code for RX and DDCMP

M9301-YE	All models; has basic diagnostics, console emulator; boots
		from low speed paper tape or DECnet; supports auto-boot on
		power on, and also power-fail restart

M9301-YF	All models (auto-start not available on /45, /50); has basic
		diagnostics, console emulator, boots from various devices
		(RK, RK06, RP, TC, TM, TA, RX, DL, PC, RJS, RJP, TJU)
		supports auto-boot on power on, and also power-fail restart

M9301-YH	/60 and /70 version; contains basic CPU, cache and memory diagnostics,
		boots from various devices (TM, TC, RK, RP, RK06, RJS, RJP, TJU, RX, PC)

M9301-YH	All models; has basic diagnostics, console emulator; boots
		from DECnet, and various devices (RX, TU, DL, DMC), also
		power-fail restart

The -YA is the only one I have examined in detail.

	Noel