Resolved: Re: 11/34 sanity check

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Apr 30 05:51:12 CDT 2015

On 2015-04-30 12:08, Don North wrote:
> On 4/30/2015 1:31 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> On 2015-04-30 00:36, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>>>
>>>      > On 2015-04-27 00:50, Mike Ross wrote:
>>>
>>>      >> One does not casually reverse the installation of cables just
>>> to see
>>>      >> if maybe it will work!
>>>
>>>      > Actually.... I often have done so, just because of this.
>>>
>>> And how many times have you melted something down, doing that? :-)
>>
>> Not a single time. DEC engineered things wisely.
>>
>>     Johnny
>>

> Heh if DEC engineered things wisely it would have been impossible to
> plug any
> cable in backwards, and there would never had been the need to reverse
> cables
> when a device was apparently not working correctly...
>
> ... instead of figuring out how to make the system such that it could
> not be
> assembled incorrectly, they took the lazy way out, and did enough so that a
> dumb error (reversing a cable) did not cause a fire. This still allowed
> for assembling
> a system that would not work, however.

Agreed in that keyed connectors are good. However, even so, it is wise
to make sure reversed connections don't burn anything. People make their
own cables as well, which still can reverse it all...

It would have been very stupid to just have keyed connectors and then
assume that things could never be plugged in wrong.

	Johnny