Resolved: Re: 11/34 sanity check

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Apr 29 17:36:29 CDT 2015

    > From: Josh Dersch

    > it never occurred to me to just try flipping it around since usually
    > that's a pretty good way to let the magic smoke out of things.

Exactly. Except for cases where I _know_ the connector was designed to be
able to withstand being plugged in backwards (e.g. IDE), I would _never_ try
reversing a cable 'on spec'. The chances are just too big one will kill
something.

(Amusing factoid: QBUS cards have the same thing, they are designed so that
you can plug them in backwards, and not kill things. I am somewhat ashamed to
admit that one one occasion, I actually did this! Luckily the engineer who
did the QBUS saved my behind.)

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    > On 2015-04-27 00:50, Mike Ross wrote:

    >> One does not casually reverse the installation of cables just to see
    >> if maybe it will work!

    > Actually.... I often have done so, just because of this.

And how many times have you melted something down, doing that? :-)

	Noel