11/34 sanity check

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 25 11:54:10 CDT 2015

My memory is not clear, so best to do is some manual reading.
For example, can you put the M9301 (or M9312) and M7859 in slot 3?
Or is slot 3 sort of reserved for M8267 or M8268, and should the
terminator and console interface go in slot 4?

No effects at all from the console is (IIRC) strange. CTRL/HALT should
work. I once had a dead M7859, as soon as I hit the numeric keys
strange things happened, and (for example) "LAD" turned the RUN
LED on and the system hung. The M7859 is "just another UNIBUS device".
On my interface board it was a dead RAM chip.
As yours is doing practically nothing, check whether all ICs are in
the sockets ... some vandal may have ripped the 8008 processor to sell
is as @*LOOK RARE *@

On my 11/34, a lamp (RUN, SR DISP, BUS ERR, MAINT) is either bright
ON or 'very' OFF.     I never used MAINT, should do that some time ...

Grant problems can hang the bus (BUS ERR ON), but as you know,
you can check that by removing the M9302 at the far end. I think you
should keep the M9301 next to the CPU installed.

If you want the 11/34 to do something you probably *need* the
M7856 at 777560 as console. The CPU wants to dump it registers
there at startup ...

- Henk