Interesting drive failure...

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 23 15:27:18 CDT 2015

On 04/23/2015 08:05 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:

> On many drives, orientation certainly can have an effect.  What
> orientation was it previously used in?

I'm reminded of the early IMI "shoebox" drives (shoebox, I guess if you
had size 21 feet).  I think that they were mostly used by Corvus--clear
tinted plastic top with a voice-coil positioner.

If you lifted the front end of these things about an inch off
horizontal, they'd cease to work--the positioner didn't have the moxie
to overcome the force of gravity and would respond with sort of a
squealing retry as it tried to push the heads uphill.

--Chuck