Meaning of RD54 Beeps

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 14 03:55:28 CDT 2015

I managed to get an RD54 going again (a different one to the one I was
having trouble with recently). However, if I try to back it up, the backup
is slow, I get quite a few read errors, and it often makes the beeping sound
that it makes when you first power it on.

Clearly the disk is not that well, but I wonder if anyone knows what exactly
the beep means? Is it a signal that it has reached the correct rotational
speed, or that it has re-calibrated the track position, or something else?

Regards

Rob